Did you make some New Year Resolutions? Have you managed to stick to them or, like many of us, have they slipped and not really become a habit or produced the results you hoped for?
The problem with making New Year Resolutions is that they are for the most part too vague. Typically we say things like ‘I want to lose weight’, ‘I want to eat healthily’, ‘I want to get fit’, ‘I want a new job’, ‘I want to find love’. These are the ultimate goals but there is no real plan of action.
And if there is no plan then we often give up quickly. Research tells us that it takes at least 21 days to make something a habit, longer if it is something big.
So what can you do?
- Be specific – eg how much weight do you want to lose, how exactly will you do it.
- Accountability – tell someone your plans and ask them to be your accountability partner
- Set goals – Break it down and set small achievable goals
- Ask for help – Get the right support, advice and motivation from a professional. There are excellent Personal Trainers, Life Coaches and Nutritionists all trained to support you reach your goals.
- Tackle one goal at a time – trying to change everything at once is less likely to work.
So, what are your goals for 2016?
Need support? I now have appointments available, including baby friendly sessions and flexible sessions for busy mums.